K-6 Read-Write Connections Inservice
Calling ALL elementary teachers and instructional leaders! Join us for a strategy-packed day of read-write connections. Whether you are new to teaching or an expert, you will leave this session feeling validated and inspired to power up your instructional connections, ready to tackle new and renewed read-write techniques, and prepared to dig in to explicit tools to catapult robust reading and writing.
This thought-provoking, six-hour training is designed to enrich text-dependent writing through powerful, on-going, read-write connections. You will learn to help your students to:
- Embrace the relationship between reading and writing and learn to read like writers and write like readers
- Build background and understanding around Common Core reading and writing text types, with special emphasis on the critical thinking skills necessary to share cross-discipline content with a writer's audience
- Read and comprehend widely and deeply from a broad range of high-quality, increasingly challenging, literary and informational texts
- Navigate complex texts by deciphering meaning, text structure, genre elements, language, and knowledge demands
- Learn to discern critical information from the text and consider a wide range of textual evidence to glean relevant support
- Gain life-long reading and note-taking habits
- Apply reading knowledge gained from the Reading Fab 5 to writing the Common Core text types with the Writing Great 8, transferring understanding from brain to paper and/or screen
You will leave with a comprehensive handbook and extensive blackline masters to use immediately! Let's kick start the year off with a spark!